Friday, July 10, 2009

What do you appreciate?


I am taking a couple of days off, for relaxation and anniversary purposes. I wanted to go to Vancouver, B.C., but Mr. RK was hesitant to spend that much cash while he is still unemployed. He wanted to spend a night or two at the coast, but I was terrified of too many tourists.

So we are going on a couple of day trips - one to the museum of glass, which is a couple hours away in Tacoma, Washington, of all places, and one to the beach.

Today, however, was a day for getting secret goodies for Pheromone Girl, having lunch with Mr. RK, swimming and renewing my driver's license.

Waiting in line - because the person who worked at the "Express" line was filling in for someone who was out on break (a loooooooong break), the woman in front of me remarked, "Hey, look at those teenagers just getting their licenses for the first time. They're the only people in here smiling!"

She's right - that first trip to the DMV is the only one you'll enjoy. (Unless you flunk your test, I guess.)

So that started me thinking - is there stuff I used to enjoy and now take for granted? Or vice versa?

Having lived on my own or with another person who dislikes cooking for many years now, I APPRECIATE it when anyone offers to cook for me, because personally, I don't like to do it. (Hint: I do not enjoy doing things I am 1) not good at, or 2) likely to accidentally poison someone.)

Having lived in a city where people were routinely rude, I appreciate it when people are nice or friendly. (Not too friendly.)

Having worked in a place where my anxiety had me on my guard all the time due to a sexist asshole boss (Peter Ellis of St. Augustine, FL, you know who you are!), I appreciate the fact that I have a kind boss. One who lets me say "fuck," even.

Having lost all three of my kitties within 15 months of each other, I appreciate my darling little boy kitties, both of whom spent over a year at the shelter. Who knows why - they're sweet, lovable, and so cute!

Having lost "friends" for silly reasons, I appreciate Pheromone Girl, Mike D, Shay, and the select few other darlings I consider my adopted family.

Having been totally fucked over or bored by every other man I've gone out with, I appreciate Mr. RK.

How about you?

PS The pic above was one from a trip to NYC that Mike D made neato with sepia and his artistic techniques. FYI, I don't eat hot dogs (this was taken in front of the famous Gray's Papaya hot dog shop in the Village) and I'm much thinner now!

14 comments:

JLee said...

Have a wonderful mini-getaway(s)!
Sounds like fun :)

Green tea said...

I'm going to reverse your question a little bit.

I use to take for granted the good friends and relatives I do have, Then I started losing them.
Now I enjoy every minute I have with the ones still here.

By the way..
you are a cutie Kitty...:D

Phil said...

I absolutely appreciate bloggers. They are without a doubt, the nicest people I know and are always here with a kind word. And you Miss Riot Kitty are likely appreciated by everyone's blog whom you visit.

Shionge said...

Yo have fun with Mr. RK Sweetie and sounds like you are going to have some fun out there :)

Sidhe said...

Sometimes the best vacations don't take you very far at all...Enjoy!

Mike_D said...

Thanks!!!

Love ya too!!!! You are totally appreciated!!! :)

Scarlet said...

"Peter Ellis of St. Augustine, FL, you know who you are!" OMG, you crack me up!!

Enjoy your time away...and btw, I told you so. First you post tattoo pics, then a pic of you in a coat, then...well, you'll see. ;)

PS - I love the kind of relationship you have with Mr. RK! I'm happy for you.

listen for azure said...

I can't wait to hear all about the museum.

I can't understand why you don't want to go to the coast in the summer when it's swarming with people and their offspring who all can't stand each other and want someone else to take care of everything for them!

Riot Kitty said...

Thanks everybody!

GT and Phil: Awwwwwwwwwww!

themom said...

Enjoy the little breaks. Day trips can sometimes be the best.

Darth Weasel said...

happy anniversary and enjoy Tacoma...which brings up one of the things I take for granted and enjoy; a road system that makes sense. By contrast, check out Seattle....

Fireblossom said...

I heart my Twin!

LL Cool Joe said...

Have a great break. I love the photo too!

Susan English Mason said...

That would be fun picking out little somethings for Pheromone Girl. You look beautiful in the photo BTW. I feel a post coming on to answer your question...Loved the Spider-man dolly (it looked like it was made out of a sock) that you got for Mike D on one of your trips. I don't like word verification much, wah, and it doesn't like me.