Saturday, August 22, 2009

Are we there yet?

Yes, I am addicted to the lolcatbuilder!

I am 944 pages into War and Peace - which means I only (only!) have 500 to go. My cat is not amused - he has actually taken a bite out of the cover. It's so big, it must be a toy, it can't possibly be something to read!

Don't get me wrong, it's a good book. And I enjoyed Anna Karenina. But man, does this guy need an editor. How many different ways can you write a battle scene?

Who chooses what makes a book a classic, I wonder?

And did you know - his wife copied his manuscripts by hand, by candlelight! Then again, they had about a dozen kids, so he must have been doing something for her.

7 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I read Anna Kareninna and loved it, EXCEPT for the long sections about 19th century agriculture! Hugo is another one who totally needed an editor.

You are lolcat-happy! get help, RK! LOL!

listen for azure said...

Having my two kids means I can't imagine copying anything by hand. Or even making guacamole.

War & Peace? Wow. I thought they gave that up with wterboarding...

Scarlet said...

You and War & Peace remind me of me and The House of the Spirits (en espaƱol). It takes me days to get through three pages.

I'm cheating by reading other books in between and I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice. Hemingway is next...although YOU really made me want to run out and buy Julie & Julia the other day when you reviewed the movie! I'm sure it's more entertaining than The Sun Also Rises...but I'll wait.

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention the classics question. I'm in a lit class. I'll ask my instructor what makes a classic, a classic.

G. B. Miller said...

As much as I enjoy reading (and the local library was my home away from home while growing up), I would never attempt to read something that long or that heavy.

But, more power to you for tackling such a book.

Riot Kitty said...

Well I am less than 150 pages from done now, and I just want to know what happens to the characters...

LL Cool Joe said...

Geez I'd rather listen to classical music for a month solid than read that book. And that's saying something!

I'm like your cat, I'd try and eat it too. :D