Thursday, November 19, 2009

*Snuggles*



Usually it's hard to get good pictures of Earl Grey, because he moves or stares right at the camera and gets red eye (alien kitty.)

Mr. Riot Kitty got this adorable one a couple of days ago.

Earl Grey was a very jumpy guy when we first got him - he spent his first couple of days here hiding under the bed. Given his chewed-up ears, scarred eye and fear when he hears anything outdoors bark (even dogs that are smaller than he is), we guessed that he might have been attacked by a dog.

But little by little, in the year and a half since Earl Grey joined our household, he has been easing up, warming up. In the past few weeks he has become quite a cuddler.

This is probably a silly post but I am so happy we were able to give him and Lucky a home. They were both at the shelter for over a year - Lucky for over two years - because it's harder to adopt out older kitties than kittens. Like most of us, these two came with issues. But that did not stop us from loving them.

I may not be able to fix all the things in the world I want to fix - I may pull out my hair because of a tough call at work, or wonder why, as a society, we have the ability to end poverty, but don't - but this is one small thing that we did change for good.

15 comments:

BioniKat said...

Well done! Thanks for giving a home to two beautiful older kitties. I'm sure they have brought a lot of joy into your life.

Passion Fruit said...

I've brought home homeless kitties twice.. But unfortunately neither of them is living with me anymore. But your Earl Gray and Lucky are both just gorgeous. I know the feeling of gaining a cat's trust and it's priceless!

LL Cool Joe said...

I feel like that about our kids. :)

I do have a cat, at our flat, called Kylie. Well what else?

Darth Weasel said...

not silly at all. Even cat-non-lovers like me can feel some joy at having a skittish kitty (such as our Cher) warm up to the point where an occasional pet is in order.

Enjoy the good things in life

B said...

I'm always so freaked when I find out anyone lives in a shelter that long. I'm so glad y'all are a family :D :D

Aliceson said...

Aww, and they are both so cute.

Around here cats are a dime a dozen (farm country and all) so I absolutely cringe when I hear people talking about buying or breeding cats for pets. There are so many cats already that need loving homes yet people keep breeding irresponsibly. Drives me nuts!

Lynn said...

Silly? Not at all. It is a wonderful thing to take in homeless animals. And what a good home they got! They are adorable.

My Sophie was from a box of kittens left on my vet's doorstep. She was among the last to be adopted out and she has been a delightful companion for 16 years.

Her companion, Cleo, (deceased) was a five-year-old cat at a shelter. She made eye contact with me and that was it. I had her for 10 years.

The Peach Tart said...

They are both so adorable. You are so special for taking them in and loving them and that makes them lucky too.

Tom Bailey said...

Earl Grey just makes me laugh because earl grey is a strong tea that gets me wired and cats nap so much.

Ileana said...

They're adorable!! You make me want to go out and adopt that orange kitty I've always wanted...one that looks like Morris the Cat (with the attitude of Garfield).

Fireblossom said...

It's not a silly post at all. I think it's beautiful, as are the kitties themselves!

There is a story about a woman on the beach. A storm had caused hundreds of starfish to be washed up, and she was tossing them back into the water, one by one. Someone passing by said, "Why are you bothering to do that? You can't possibly save them all so what does it matter?" As she tossed another starfish back into the safety of the water, she replied, "It matters to THIS one."

Shionge said...

This is lovely and knowing that no matter how lousy you feel at work, you have two buddies to turn to :D

Shelly Rayedeane said...

What cute animals!

Shelly Rayedeane said...

By the way , I love animals more then most people because of unconditional love.

I wish more people were like that though.

I also wish people were honest. I can't stand it when people lie to me.

Anonymous said...

RK,
Sorry I never stopped by before to comment as I always love the comments that you leave on other sites.

But I just had to say that several years ago, geez, maybe a decade, a beautiful grey kitten with green eyes starting hanging out on my back porch. Of course, we started taking care of it. I even tried to integrate it into the home, but alas, I and two of my kids are asthmatic and couldn't keep kitty, which I named Earl Grey. I convinced my mom to take him, and he has been living a plush life ever since. He is a beautiful fat cat. Your Earl Grey is also beautiful.