Friday, October 22, 2010

Cougars and bad pickup lines


Everyone seemed happy with the dinner, despite the fact that I was in my own personal hell that evening (nuff said), but of all of the unexpected things...

As those of you who do event planning know all too well, at least one unexpected thing will happen at every event. The most surprising thing at the dinner? Apparently, some people come to cruise.

I kid you not!

Mr. RK, saint that he is, took the pictures at the dinner (my boss asked if he would because he is very good at it) and told me this story.

An older gentleman approached a woman during the reception, and their conversation went something like this:

Him: "Hi, are you here with your husband tonight?"
Her: "No, I'm here with my partner."
Him: "Well, have a nice evening!"

He directly approaches another woman nearby.

Him: "Hi, are you here with your husband tonight?"

Mr. RK didn't hear the rest of that conversation because he turned around to laugh as inconspicuously as possible.

I've heard of picking up people at parties, but at a nonprofit fundraising dinner?!

And that's not all...

Mr. RK's friend D played music during the reception. They rode together and D's wife said, remarking on how he and Mr. RK looked nice all dressed up, "Don't let anyone pick you up...unless it's a rich old lady!"

Mr. RK and his friend are both 39. Apparently there were two very well-dressed women in their 60s hovering around them for quite a bit of the evening!

And last, but not least...I did not have any garment malfunctions. I did accidentally drop a piece of bread down my cleavage during one of the speeches, so we were all choking in our laughter, but that was better than having to go commando all night, right?

14 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh well you can't blame a guy for trying! :D

My partner once chucked a load of strawberries down a woman's cleavage. By mistake, of course.

Fireblossom said...

Oh, leave us desperate, floundering singles alone! Our grim hunt never stops!

Lynn said...

I guess you have to meet people somewhere. My volunteer organization had a recognition dinner one night and an elderly man affixed himself to me with that very question. Turns out he just didn't want to sit alone. I happily obliged and enjoyed his conversation - when the dinner was over he shook my hand and left. :)

I'm glad the night went so well - even with the bread in the cleavage. ;0

Shionge said...

Looks like there's happenings around this event and glad it turned out well in the end :D

G. B. Miller said...

Hmmm...

Oh well, might as well say it and get it over with so that I can get yelled at later for saying it.

ahem

Going commando in one area is considered to be a very good thing, so probably a lot of people were disappointed that the bread had nothing gooey or messy contained on it.

You now have my permission to give me what for.

Ileana said...

Showing cleavage, huh? I'm surprised "Mr. AreYouHereWithYourHusbandTonight?" didn't try picking you up, Chica...or helping you remove "el pan de tu senos." lol

I'm happy to hear all turned out well.

PS - Cute kitty, btw. I love your cats!!

kristin5683 said...

Bread down the cleavage is less stressful than going commando...not as hilarious of a story, but it definitely allows for more dignity!

Darth Weasel said...

at least Mr. Rk knew where to go for a snack...


Andf lets face it...it one must go to gatherings for picking up others, better a gala than a funeral...

Jen said...

I can't imagine why he's still single, what with those amazing conversational skills and all...

Riot Kitty said...

Joey: That's hilarious!
FB: I formally invite you to pick up on rich chicks at our next dinner ;)
Lynn: That's a sweet story...but in our case, I'm pretty sure this guy was a lech.
S: Thanks!
G: I'm totally lost.
SI: Why are you surprised?! As for Mr. Stupid...I was running around the whole night and never in one place long enough to get into a conversation with anyone like him!
Kristin: True!
Darth: LMAO! Would you like a spanking?
Jen: Yeah, it really boggles the mind, doesn't it? ;)

G. B. Miller said...

I figured as much.

To clarify:

Summertime.

Think wet t-shirt.

Granny Annie said...

I am surprised an "older gentleman" didn't react by diving for the piece of bread that fell into your cleavage.

Riot Kitty said...

G: Now I get it!
GA: Probably because we weren't at the same table ;)

Maude Lynn said...

Republican cougars . . . heaven help us!