Thursday, March 08, 2012

TILT

I just realized driving home tonight that Things I Like Thursday, which I heard about from the lovely Claire, can be shortened to TILT. Clearly I have been working in nonprofit stuff for too long. Not only do I now know the acronyms, I am coming up w/my own!

So here is my TILT for the day - and mind you, I almost did not post because it's been kind of a crap week. I reactivated an injury, and still fighting a bug, lost a major sponsor for an event at work because they are cutting donations, etc. etc.

BUT! I did manage to find some things I like. I was thinking about this because I went to a dinner tonight for another nonprofit that we work with - they focus on substance abuse prevention and treatment and suicide prevention. Heavy stuff. But there I sat, in a room of several hundred people who cared enough to come out on a Thursday night to help support this group.

Which made me think...things I like:

1. I like my little black dress. As many of you know, I live near and work in Portland, which is in a state whose Governor wears jeans. Even when he met the President, he wore jeans. Tonight, people actually dressed up, and I have to say, I looked good.

2. I also have not worn this dress since the late 1990s (don't worry, it's a classic) because for awhile it did not fit. Now it does. Hurray! Sorry to go all girly on you, but I just had to. I did not, however, wear heels, or this would have happened:


3. I like working for a nonprofit. After several years of being a reporter and not really enjoying it, I did a brief stint in public relations/ad copy writing/marketing. Even though we had mostly nonprofit clients, I hated every minute of it. It was like that part in The Muppets Take Manhattan where Kermit the Frog has a concussion and goes to work in an ad agency and calls himself Phil Phillip. (Translation: I fit in about as well in that industry as a frog in a suit.)

And while we are on that note, someone asked me tonight how I "got into this field," the field being mental health advocacy. It's an odd story, but comes down to destiny. It is one of the best things that has ever happened in my life. Even when I have a difficult day, it's better than my best day in PR.

Coming to work at our organization, I don't feel like a defective person because I live with depression and anxiety. On a daily basis, I get to help connect people with resources that they have described as "life-saving" and "life-changing." And we offer all of our programs free of charge.

And that is why I want to kick ass fundraising this year for our upcoming walk.

The goal:

In years past, many of you have been kind and generous enough to support me in this effort (indeed, a few of you already have this year - thank you!) If you are able to do so again, I will take any bucks that come my way.

We never sell your info to anyone. We never add you to mailing lists. And 90% of your money stays right in my organization (10% goes to our national organization, which helps us by giving us a web site and other administrative help.)

If you would like to find out more, please visit here. If you're unable to donate, please wish me luck!

13 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I admire anyone that does the kind of work you do. Constantly giving back. We give to charities all the time. We tithe 14% of everything we earn to different organisations. We also sponsor kids in third world countries too. It's important to give back if you can afford to do it.

Good luck!

Lynn said...

You can beat a little black dress to suit all occasions - I have one of those, too. Add some pearls and you're good to go.

I admire the kind of work you do, too - it's wonderful.

Lynn said...

Er - I meant you "can't" beat a LBD... I should proof before sending. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm glad you have a job you love! It makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I am always broke, but have plenty of well-wishing to give.

Riot Kitty said...

Joe: Thanks! And that's awesome that your family is so generous. Wish there would be more people who gave that way.
L: LBD! LOL! And thank you. :)
D: After having years of jobs I had problems with, absolutely.
NV: I will take all of the well wishes I can get, thanks!

Darth Weasel said...

i also enjoy a good opportunity to wear my lbd...lazy boy dockers, the ones i wear while sitting in lazy boy watching tv...

good cause and i echo the "glad you like what you do"

Granny Annie said...

WDJTO (and i didz)

Riot Kitty said...

Darth: You know that we are now in a competition for acronyms!
GA: Thank you so much!

Darth Weasel said...

ykiw.

Or...You know I win :-)

Riot Kitty said...

Darth: Haha. We can compete. We can even come up with our own dictionary!

Full-On-Forward said...

Love you even though you're CRAZY! And of course I mean that in the best way possible! (Think she's buying it?)..ahem...Seriously--Ok do you really think something serious is coming..???? well it is!

I appreciate everything you do, and it's people like you that truly get things done that really matter!!!

Hugs!

John

Riot Kitty said...

LOL John! Thanks.