Monday, September 22, 2014

Does this make me a grownup?

The good news: we have internet, as of, I think, Friday, thanks to Mr. RK. An open note to the Frontier Communications company: You can all suck it. It's no thanks to you that we're up and running (and we are no longer a customer, so there.)

On my recent birthday, I told my dad I didn't feel grown up enough to be the age I am now. When my parents were my age, they seemed to be more grown up (not older. Hey, he might be reading this.) But this week, oh, how times have changed.
My to-do list is entirely made up of things relating to 1. our new place, 2. my younger brother, 3. my job and 4. our new place.

I had to double up on the decaf last week. Then I realized we had packed, moved, unpacked, cleaned, etc. every day for two weeks. (Did this stop my new insurance agent, who is all of 22, from emailing me THE MORNING AFTER the weekend I moved asking if I needed more time to proceed? No.)

I work with her mom and she said, "Oh, younger people, they move and it's no big deal." Ouch! Then again, I don't remember a move ever being this much of a pain because I wasn't moving anyone's shit except my own. I am not a packrat. I don't know how I ended up with enough stuff to fill a space twice the size of the one we were in previously.

My dad is talking about my 40th birthday trip which is two years down the road! 

Note to self: I can't possibly be heading for that number. Right?

And a meeting of the board I'm on got rescheduled for the night before I'm supposed to leave to set up one of our events. It's only two hours away, but I am thinking, "Damn, I'll be up too late! And tired! I must skip it!" Maybe I just don't like meetings all that much. Or maybe I'm a grownup.

And lastly, I am posting pics of a teenager on social media, which I believe is something old people do. The kid in question is not mine (mine have four paws and a lot of fur), but my brother B, above, whose time has been consumed as of late by AP chemistry.

Mr. RK just wandered in, looked at this picture, and asked, "What the FUCK is that? B is surely going to kill us all."

He'd probably like that. Except there wouldn't be anyone left to pay for coffee.

17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I refuse to grow up. Except when it suits me. I am staking a claim on unpredictability. And am happy to share it...

Granny Annie said...

Between "our new place" and "our new place" your younger brother B should be proud he was squeezed in.

I am 68 and still trying to determine what I want to be when I grow up. Glad you are finally old enough to post family pictures:)

Lynn said...

Love his smile!

I'll never grow up either - and I can't believe how old I am now. :) I had people for dinner Saturday night and the getting ready for it just about did me in - I realize how old I am now by how tired things like that make it. (It's a good tired though.)

LL Cool Joe said...

Yep you are getting old, sorry, but you are. Ha. If you are getting old, that makes me ancient, so shut up. ;p

A Beer for the Shower said...

It's true, once I turned 30 I thought "Maybe I'll feel grown up now. Maybe I'll know all the answers to life's questions." Nope. Not even close.

When I was a kid I thought my parents just knew everything and it's because they were 30. They were older and wiser. Now I realize that they were just kinda guessing about things, kinda like I am now. Age doesn't mean anything - we never have any idea what the hell we're doing at any point in our lives - but some are just better at faking it than others.

Abby said...

Yay, you're moved AND you have internet!
I have kids, so I have to fake being grownup sometimes. Don't tell them.
And your teen brother - he appears to be a very safe pumpkin king. Safety first!

Anonymous said...

My mom and dad were definitely more grown up than I am. Or they did a good job at faking it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Just you wait, kiddo. Just you wait. I'd kill to be 38 again, goddammit.

ShadowRun300 said...

I'm slightly *ahem* older than you and only pretend to be a grownup when I need to. But there's NO WAY I feel as old as my number is. Except during a move (which we just did as well) and except after 9 PM. (Sometimes 8:30.)

Christina Murphy said...

I'm glad I've left the early years behind. I was so ridiculous. The forties are awesome - you'll have a great time, trust me. Come into the light......

Lee said...

Don't despair about turning 40 in a couple of years, RK. 40 is a great age. If I had a magic wand, I'd make sure I stayed around the age of 40 to 45. I loved my 40s.

Ah...I just see that My Girl Murphy agrees with me. That's my girl, Murphy! :)

Cheers. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I was following your blog to keep up with what young people do. Guess that's a bust now. :)

Dexter Klemperer said...

Youngsters complaining about their age is so cute! Yeah, but moving sucks at any age.

G. B. Miller said...

Don't feel so bad, I'll be turning 50 next year.

Besides, 38 is the new 25.

Father Nature's Corner

CraveCute said...

Enjoy every minute! The years fly by, I wonder where the last twenty went!

Vanessa Morgan said...

I agree. It seems as if our parents were more responsible and grown-up when they were the age we are now. Or maybe they had less fun ;-)

Ms. CrankyPants said...

Ugh, aging. What a POS. I work with someone a LOT younger than I am. She claims (and I'm struggling to type this without flying into a deadly rage) that 80s' music...SUCKS. I hate young people. GET OFF MY LAWN, young people!

:)